- ¼ lb pork belly, sliced into small pieces
- 1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 quartered tomatoes
- 3 tbsp shrimp paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups squash, cut into cubes
- 1 bitter melon, sliced
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1 bunch string beans, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small pan, add ½ tbsp oil and fry the pork belly until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a medium size pot, sauté garlic, ginger, onion and tomatoes.
- Add the pork belly and shrimp paste and mix with the ingredients.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the squash and cover to cook for 8 minutes
- Add the bitter melon, eggplant and string beans and cook for additional 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with white rice.
Shrimp paste is available from most Asian markets or in the ethnic food aisle of a well-stocked supermarket.